Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Varnishing Trick


     The cladding is in place, so Step Two is to varnish it. I used a staining varnish from B & Q (if you are reading this and you own B & Q, you're getting a lot of free advertising here - please feel free to contact me - if you catch my drift...), with a quick drying, satin finish. 

It's going to need several coats to get the depth of colour I'm looking for. Here's a picture of the first coat, with the little door left unvarnished, in order to show the contrast. 



And here's what the chimney breast looks like after the first coat of varnish.


In many ways, varnishing is like making love to a beautiful woman (as Swiss Toni would say). Start at the top and slowly work your way downwards, making sure to cover every nook and cranny, watch out for drips and dribbles, be prepared to go over it three or four times, and don't forget to step back every now and then to admire your handiwork.

I've used three coats and I think I've got the colour. I will give it a couple of days and then give it a surface of wax. I didn't do anything else today, as I don't want to raise any dust when the varnish is still sticky.

Costs :  -
B & Q own brand Quick Drying Varnish (Satin, Deep Mahogany)
Two tins @ £9.98 = £19.96

Running Total £66.92

No comments:

Post a Comment